Parent Category: Things To Know
1. A zoo is a place where all types of animals are confined and displayed for the public to see.
2. Zoos give people an opportunity to observe animals they would never otherwise get the chance to see.
3. In many zoos the animals are also studied and bred. There are hundreds of zoos all over the world, but the first zoo was called the Ménagerie du Jardin des Plantes. It was founded in Paris in 1794.
4. London founded the Zoological Society of London in 1828, and the name was abbreviated to "zoo."
5. The first zoo to open in the United States was in New York. The year was 1860, and it was called the Central Park Zoo.
6. Today, zoos are trying hard to keep animals in enclosures that replicate their natural habitat. The animals seem to do much better in this type of environment and the patrons seem to enjoy seeing the animals in a natural setting.
7. Many zoos also have a petting zoo where children are allowed a close-up look at animals, many of them babies.
8. Zoos create educational programs and tours in order to provide an educational opportunity for everyone.
9. Zoos throughout the world are trying to coordinate efforts to breed endangered species. The information they are learning about these animals will help zoologists preserve the species out in the wild.
10. Most major cities have zoos and many of them work together to care for, study and protect their animals.
text link advertisements!
for more information!