Parent Category: Fun & Games
1. Chocolate grows on the tropical tree called the Theobroma cacao, or simply,
"cacao." Theobroma is Greek for "food of the gods."
2. Cacao is native to Central and South America, but it is grown commercially throughout the tropics.
3. About 70% of the world's cacao is grown in Africa.
4. A cacao tree can produce close to two thousand pods per year.
5. The cacao pod is shaped like a football and grows straight out from the branches.
6. The pods, which mature throughout the year, encase a sticky white pulp and about 30 or 40 seeds.
7. After the beans are picked they are allowed to ferment and dry.
8. Once the beans are at the factory they are cleaned, sorted and weighed.
9. The process of making a chocolate bar can sometimes take a week once the cacao beans
10. Cacao, the stuff that chocolate is made from, is quite good for you. It is a powerful antioxidant.
text link advertisements!
for more information!