Parent Category: Educational
1. It takes the moon 27 days, 7 hours, 43 minutes and
11.6 seconds to make a complete orbit around the earth.
The moon orbits the Earth in a counterclockwise direction.
2. A lunar month is the time it takes the moon to complete all
of its phases from New Moon to New Moon.
This cycle takes approximately 29.5 days.
3. The moon is 4.5 billion years old.
4. The surface of the moon is made up of craters,
mountains, plains and valleys.
5. There is no atmosphere on the moon,
which means there is no air to breathe.
6. There is no weather or wind on the moon, so the footprints
left by the astronauts will remain visible for millions of years.
7. Water was discovered on the moon in 2007.
8. The moon is 2,000 miles wide.
9. The moon is about 250,000 miles from the Earth.
If you were driving to the moon in a car, it would take you 130 days.
10. The moon has no light source of its own.
It shines at night because it reflects the light from the sun.
Earth and Moon Viewer
Experiment in Perception
Exploring the Moon
Naval Observatory Portal
NOVA: To The Moon
Once in a Blue Moon
Phases of the Moon
Planets, Moons & Stars
The Earth's Moon
The Moon as Seen From the Northern Hemisphere
Virtual Reality Moon Phase Pictures
Wikipedia: The Moon
Zoom Astronomy: The Moon