1. The dictionary defines technology as the branch of knowledge that deals with the creation and use of technical means and their interrelation with life, society, and the environment, drawing upon such subjects as industrial arts, engineering, applied science, and pure science.
2. Technology is a fun topic that covers a wide range of interesting areas including the Internet, video games, computers, cell phones, robots and more.
3. Early electronic computers, developed around the 1940’s, were the size of a large room and consumed huge amounts of electricity. They were vastly different to the modern computers we use today, especially when compared to small and portable laptop computers.
4. Although we normally think of computers as the ones we use in our everyday lives to surf the web, write documents etc, small computers are also embedded into other things such as mobile phones, toys, microwaves and MP3 players. We use computers all the time, often without even knowing it!
5. The first coin operated video games were introduced in the 1970’s with titles such as ‘Computer Space’ and ‘Pong’ gaining popularity. Video game genres are wide and varied. Examples of popular genres include action adventure, strategy, role playing, sports, racing, simulation and puzzle.
6. Although the World Wide Web is often referred to as the Internet, the two are not the same thing. The Internet is a huge network of networks that links computers together all over the world using a range of wires and wireless technologies. The World Wide Web is the collection of linked pages that are accessed using the Internet and a web browser.
7. English physicist Sir Tim Berners-Lee is regarded as having invented the World Wide Web in 1989. Since then he has continued the development of web standards and other web related projects.
8. One of the best and most common ways of finding information on the web is through the use of search engines such as Google, Live and Yahoo. Google is currently the most popular search engine, receiving hundreds of millions of search queries every day.
9. Around 1495 Leonardo da Vinci sketched plans for a humanoid robot.
10. Modern cell phones are capable of much more than just sending and receiving phone calls. Mobile phones used in today’s world allow users to send and receive text messages, emails, photos and video as well as access the Internet, play games, listen to music, use GPS (Global Positioning Systems) and more.