1. According to most historians, the game of tennis was invented by Frenchmonks in the 11th or 12th century. They hit a ball with their hands over a rope strung across a courtyard or against the walls of the monasteries.
2. Next, players began using a glove with webbing between the fingers or a solid paddle.
3. Eventually players began using a piece of webbing attached to a handle, which became the modern day racquet.
4. The first tennis balls were made of wool or hair wrapped up in leather.
5. Tennis is a game played indoors or outdoors by two players when playing singles or four players when playing doubles.
6. Tennis is played on a level court usually made of grass, clay , concrete, or materials made for indoor use such as wood or synthetics.
7. The length of a standard tennis court is 78 feet. The width of a court differs with the type of match played there. For singles match, width of tennis court is 27 feet, and for doubles match it is 36 feet.
8. The height of the net in the middle of the tennis court is approximately three feet.
9. A player must score four points to win a game. Six games need to be won to win a set and two sets to win a match.
10. The different shots used in tennis are: forehand, backhand, serve, volley, lob and drop shot